Wednesday, September 1, 2010

"Lively Rogues (Demo)"


riyl: stars, metric, strays don't sleep, mates of state

Chad:
This song started off as 2 acoustic guitar parts that I've had in my head since the middle of July. Finally one day I just got sick of trying to write it as a folky song, which is what I had originally envisioned it. I went to my computer and recorded the the parts, basically making what was a verse-chorus-verse-chorus of the song. I put it on my iPOD and would drive around listening to it, trying to think of a good melody. Again though, nothing came to mind. I was stuck in a huge rut it would've appeared, so I continued working on the song on my laptop. A few weeks later I had this instrumental piece that I was pretty stoked on. Just like a chill piece, and I also added some ambient noise to it via a part of the Paul Newman movie "Cool Hand Luke", and the Al Pacino film "The Devil's Advocate".

I still did not feel satisfied with where the song was at. I thought it still had potential, so I continued to work on it--my next step being to send it to my band's singer Abby Wood to see if she liked it enough to write a vocal part for it. A few days later she emailed me the track back with a SWEET melody that she had written, and I finally knew the direction of where the rest of the song would go. As lame as I feel to say this, this was recorded, produced, and mixed all in GarageBand. I was super impressed the potential that GB had once I really started to dig into it. I wanted to use LogicExpress9 for it, but I want the proper equipment before I start learning and recording with that (i.e. interface and midi keyboard).


Abby: Chad told me about this song he’d been working on with his beloved new Macbook Pro, and asked if I could come up with a melody to go along with it. It was different than the type of stuff I usually do, but I really dug it. It’s the kind of song you can just chill out to while driving in your car.

My initial lyrical inspiration behind it was a bit strange I guess. I had watched this documentary about a chick who goes back, finds all of her old loves and tries to find out what went wrong, and why in her mid 30’s they think she’s still single. It was uncanny, uncomfortable, and I loved every second of it. Every fairytale kids are ever told have the prince and princess going off into the sunset, and that’s it. The credits roll. But what happens if the story ends? I guess the song is about finding the strength to believe that love exists, and good things can happen anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment