Sunday, May 23, 2010

it's hard to be the better man, when you forget you're trying

I wrote and then rewrote this blog over a course of several hours. One version was a good 3 microsoft word (single spaced) document. The other was a simple sentence. So hopefully this is a good mix of the two.

At times, I am one of the most over-confident person I know. To the outside eye, I know what I am doing, and I back everything I say 100%. But, as Big Daddy would say, "BULL".

I am deathly scared of trying my hardest to fight off my demons, without anyone ever telling me good job.

I am even more scared of trying to be a gentleman to women, but no girl I love ever saying to me "You know, I really do think you're amazing because you honestly try and treat me as a girl should be treated."

To me, I see soo many dudes being jerks to girls, and soo many girls being totally okay with it. Dudes shutting up their conscience to use girls so they can get what they want, and girls shutting up their conscience so they can give guys what they want...for whatever the reasons are.

If there is one thing I can honestly say I have consistently tried to be better at in my life, it's being a gentleman. But sometimes it is soo freaking hard to do. Sometimes I think "What if no one even notices that I try? What if no one CARES that I try? What if I treat a girl the way (I believe) she should be treated and she goes back to dudes that just don't care like I do? That just use her for what they want." then I think "What's the point of trying so hard like I do if no one is ever even going to care?".

I'm not saying perfect by any stretch of the imagination, Lord knows I struggle every day to do this, and I know it's awful to compare myself to others.

But I can't help thinking: what's the point of trying to be a better man if you never actually make a dent in someone's life in a positive way? What's the point in trying if no one ever cares that you tried?

Sometimes I just feel like I will always be taken for granted in this regard.

And I know the point of living a good life is not to have people pat you on the back and tell you "Good job" all the time. But sometimes it'd be nice to feel noticed. I think.

2 comments:

  1. Life might be rough right now, and a broken heart isn't easy to heal, but your actions aren't going unnoticed.

    There are girls out there who are DYING to be treated the way you're treating other girls. There are girls searching for a man with integrity. And girls who want more than just some dating relationship.

    I say persevere! Keep on treating girls the right way. It will be worth it in the end. Plus, girls will know if you're doing it just so you get noticed. So if you just do things naturally, that will mean more when the girl you were made to be with comes along. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed agreed.
    Your job everyday is to get up, do the best that you can and live the life that Jesus died to give you. End of story.
    Nothing more, nothing less.

    Your treating people with love and compassion will not go unnoticed. I will give you a pat on the back, a sticker, and a cookie.
    But seriously. Be encouraged

    ReplyDelete